Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 22, 2009

First Trip To The Dentist


We finally got AEH to the dentist. We talked about it for a while and she just wasn't sure about it. I have put it off because I would check them at home on occasion. I debated on taking her to a Pediatric Dentist but decided that I would try it at my office first since mommy is a dental hygienst. Well, I thought for a little bit that I was going to have to take her somewhere else but after I told her "either mommy can clean your teeth or we can go somewhere else and let somebody else do it". She finally surrendered and once I polished that first tooth then she was okay. She got her teeth polished and flossed, x-rays taken and flouride applied. She even let Dr. Stewart come in and check and count her teeth. She did great and is already ready to go again.

We don't see children under 10 at our office and after she left I told Dr. Stewart how glad I was that we didn't. I just don't have the patience for that and you really have to stay in that frame of mind all the time to be able to relate and help the kids through their visit.

Here are a few helpful tips for you to help keep your kids in good dental health.

Brush teeth atleast 2 times a day, a.m. and p.m. P.M. is the most important. You don't want them going to bed with dirty teeth. Let them do it and then you follow up or vice versa. Go behind them until you are sure they are cleaning and removing plaque off of every tooth properly. You may want to let them brush before they go to the dentist and then ask the dentist or dental hygienst how they are brushing and judge it like that.

Floss their teeth, atleast everyother day if not everyday. We tell patients this " you don't leave dirt inbetween your toes and you shouldn't leave bacteria inbetween your teeth". They have some cute little floss piks out there that make this fun. When you are flossing their teeth for them it is easiest to do if you lay them down.

They should go to have a check up and cleaning every 6 months and should start around the age of 3. If you see something or suspect something is wrong then they can definitely go earlier. I strongly recommend a pediatric dentist. They are better equipped and are focused on kids. you want their first experiences to the dentist to be good.

Try to limit sugar drinks and candy. If they are going to have a drink that contains sugar then let it be for a meal. They can rinse with water or brush their teeth afterwards. Sipping on anything with sugar through out the day is bad. That constant exposure is what causes decay. Try to buy sugarless gum and candy and if they do have the sugared candy then let them eat it within a few minutes and be done with it. Be careful because things you think are good and healthy can still have alot of sugar in them (apple juice, orange juice, milk etc..). Soft drinks with sugar are not good. A regular can coke has 6 tsps. of sugar in it. Mountain Dew is one of the worst. The sugar and acid combine together and can be very harmful.

Here are a few pictures of AEH's visit.

Not quite sure about this????



She had her hand ready, just in case.

6 comments:

Jeremy and Christy said...

The last picture cracks me up. It is like by putting her hand there she is total control and can make you stop at any minute!! Your post about dental health makes me feel so bad about the girls drinking milk/juice all day. They are like bottomless pits when it comes to fluids! We do still cut the juice in half (sometimes more) with water though. I just can't let them drink that much sugar in a day. Rileigh was funny. Today she told me that the juice at church is much better than the juice at home. I was like, really? I wonder why?! (Because mommy waters it down!!)

Will and Carley said...

Way to go AEH!!

TRP said...

Glad you posted this...SH has her visit next month. I'll have her look at your blog for some comfort and support! Glad it all went well! Tell all the gal at the office we say hello!

The Family Bond said...

Oh, I dread our first trip. I think I'll take some valium before and have one on hand for after. You should have reminded all of us that "Chickens don't have teeth...don't be a chicken" visit your dentist regularly and practice good dental hygiene.

Shelley said...

That last picture is priceless! You know that they must be terrified of the noise from drill, suction, etc. makes! Such a big girl!!!

Unknown said...

First trip is always the most memorable – and being sentimental is always good. Those pictures will surely put smiles on your kids when they grow up. It will remind them how beautiful their family is, and how great her mother was as a devout mother and dentist. In Hixson, I attended a Mother-dentist free talk with my fiancee. Well, I am amazed of the testimonies of the speakers. How they've balanced career and motherhood. That was my first time to attend a heart-warming and informative seminar like that, and it happened here in Hixson. Dentistry is what my wife wants to take as a second supplementary degree. And she brought me here to understand the possibilities and scenarios we will be experiencing if she continues to pursue the plan. With new knowledge, I left my worries on that seminar. I believe that my wife is capable enough to handle the situations cited.
Several years from now, I will be having a wife and a dentist. Hixson community as well our friends will surely be proud her – and the two of us are proud of you as well! We enjoy your blog! Thanks!