Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My Memaw


This is my "Memaw". That's what all the grandchildren called her. She is my mother's mother and she passed away Monday. She was 84 years old and had heart problems, diabetes, and was developing some dementia/Alzheimers. She passed away peacefully Monday morning. She was living at a nursing home in town and had been to physical therapy that morning and was going back to her room when someone saw her take two deep breaths and then just lay her head back on her wheel chair.
She was a fun and loving grandmother to us growing up. We had some trying times over the last few years with her. She was very independent and she just didn't do well when her health started failing. She was a very strong woman and had a very sharp mind.

One of my most fun memories was getting to spend a week during the summer with her all by myself. Everything was all about me and she did whatever I wanted to do. We went and got icy's, she taught me how to make things (sewing/cross stitching), we played board games until she had callouses on her elbows and she even let me roll and fix her hair before we went to her church. I remember how she would brag to all of her friends at church about me fixing her hair. She never forgot a birthday, anniversary or holiday. You always knew you would get a card from Memaw. We always went to her house on Christmas night and she would have matching pajamas for all the grandchildren. She made sure that when we were at her house that it was all about us and making sure we were having a good time.
I lived with her on two occasions during my college years. Her door was always open and I can say and know that she loved me and that she would have done anything for me.
My mom had taken AEH over to see her a lot of Wednesday's while I was at work. She loved AEH and she was always so glad when she came to see her. One time while AEH was visiting her, Memaw took her down to the dining room and AEH sang "Jesus Loves Me" to all the residents. You can imagine how happy that made her. She hadn't known EMH long but she loved my kids and always wanted to be around them as much as possible.
We have the visitation and the funeral tomorrow. SLH is one of the pallbearers and all nine of the great grandchildren will be there. The kids might make it a little crazy but she wouldn't have it any other way. It will be a sad time but we know she is feeling better and in a better place.
We love you "Memaw"!

5 comments:

K Storm said...

I know you miss those special times with your Memaw.

I know that sometimes people think that the little kids shouldn't be at something reverent like a funeral, but they are part of her legacy and she would want them there for everyone to see the apples of her eye.

Praying for your family...

Tracy said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a grandparent, especially one you are close to, is a very hard thing and from your blog, I can tell that the two of you had a special connection. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

The Family Bond said...

Glad you have some good memories to remember Memaw. It's special to have those memories to make us smile later in life.

Kellye said...

I'm so sorry to hear about this Stephanie! Losing a grandparent is never easy! There are just some people we should never have to lose! Know that you and your family are in my prayers and I'm sending you big hugs!

The 3 Amigos said...

Oh Stephanie!
I am so sorry to hear about your Memaw....grandparents are such special people...all of mine are no longer living, looking back I wish I would have spent more time with them, you don't realize how important time is until you get older....
Thinkin' of you and praying that as the days move forward you remember all the special memories of time spent with her!